Macaroni Tomato Soup

Years ago when I lived in Utah, there was a restaurant that featured a very basic soup that my kids loved. Soon I was making it at home to rave reviews. It took me a couple of tries to figure out that the missing ingredient in the tomato juice base was nothing but ordinary, canned beef broth. I've tried using beef bouillon, but it makes the base too salty. Folks have gushed over this soup and suggested adding all sorts of things to it. I kinda like it the way it is--simple and tasty.


  • 8 ounces medium shell pasta
  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef or turkey
  • 1 42-oz. can tomato juice
  • 1 can beef broth
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
Cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside. In a large, deep skillet or soup pot, brown ground beef. Add tomato juice, broth, and onion powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add pasta and serve.

Notes
If you won't be serving the entire pot of soup, don't add pasta to soup pot. Instead, store the cooked pasta in a separate container and add to individual bowls when serving. If the pasta is mixed into the soup and stored in the refrigerator, it'll "grow" and become soggy.